Friday, September 25, 2009

Why God Answers Prayers (Part 3 of 4)

So I've been wondering if anyone out there had noticed that I hadn't finished the 4 part series on "Why God Answers Prayers?" If you had, then you know that I was interrupted by Tears, More Tears, and even Tears in a Bottle. :-)

Parts 1 and 2 began with the premise by Paul David Tripp that God has his own reasons for answering when we call upon him for help. "Prayer finds its hope not in the qualifications of the one praying, but in the character and plan of the God who is hearing." By studying the many attributes of God we can have great assurance that He does indeed listen and respond to our petitions. The first one explored was His love, and the second one today is His faithfulness. Here is what Tripp observes:

"God doesn't change his mind. He doesn't ride the roller-coaster of the rise and fall of emotions. His heart isn't a battle zone of conflicting motivations. He doesn't get bored, exhausted, or distracted. He won't quit what he has begun. He won't forsake those upon whom he has placed his love. He won't harden his heart, shut down his mind, and turn his back. He won't take a break or go to sleep. He will never tell you that you have asked too much or that you have come to him too often. You never have to work to figure him out. You never have to wonder if his response to you will change. He is absolutely faithful to every promise he has made and every provision he has offered. Your hope in prayer is rooted in his faithfulness, not yours." (A Shelter in the Time of Storm: Meditations on God and Trouble)

Whenever I read quotes such as these, I can't help but contrast them with my own attributes - and find that I come up far short of God's level. I do change my mind depending upon emotions, my motivations are mixed at best, and I get tired and bored and distracted and fall asleep. I can't figure myself out sometimes. And faithful in all things? I don't think so.

I am reminded of a cartoon I once saw. In it, a man sees another man walking toward him. "Oh no," he thinks, "...that's Bob, and I told him I would pray for him but I forgot. Dear God, I pray now that you would help Bob." Then the two meet - and the first says "Hi Bob - I've been praying for you!" I laughed when I saw this - but it was certainly an uncomfortable laugh. This is much closer to my level of faithfulness.

Can you imagine if our faithlessness in prayer stopped God from being faithful to His own eternal purpose? Thanks be to God that He is faithful, even when we are not.

Let me go and pray for Bob now.

2 comments:

  1. Candy--your blog today brings up a point I have thought much about over the years. If God doesn't change his mind, then why pray? Typically, I find that folks ask for intervention (I know I do) but God is not going to do anything that he wouldn't already do--i.e. you cannot reason with God to get him to do something. I have thought that given this, the power of prayer is not that it changes God, but it changes you.

    What are your thoughts?

    Andy Masetti

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great question, but it's 10:45PM and I'm too tired to answer it! SO - I will work on this tomorrow and post a response on Monday.

    Please 'pray' that I will come up with something truthful and useful. :-)

    ReplyDelete