Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Quiet Heart

Elisabeth Elliot is one of my favorite Christian authors. For those of you unfamiliar with her, she lost two husbands to death. The first was murdered by Auca Indians in the jungles of Ecuador; the second died from cancer. She has written many books and articles, had a radio show for many years, and was a speaker at various conferences. After hearing her speak several years ago, I had dinner with her. At the end of the meal, she and her third husband shared an apple crisp a la mode with me! I think this makes me sort of famous. :-)

One of Elisabeth's books that I return to again and again is titled Keep A Quiet Heart. It is a series of devotionals designed to guide us toward a simpler, calmer, state of being:

"A willing acceptance of all that God assigns and a glad surrender of all that I am and have constitute the key to receiving the gift of a quiet heart. Whenever I have balked, the quietness goes. It is restored, and life immeasurable simplified, when I have trusted and obeyed."

Oh that we (I) could remember this! Think of the numerous ways that we actually foster the opposite of a quiet heart - a heart full of turmoil, anxiety, and fear. Actually, Elisabeth helps even in this regard. Tomorrow we will begin to look at a list she put together entitled, "Several Ways To Make Yourself Miserable." How's that for fun!

1 comment:

  1. This book by Elizabeth Elliot is a book I am going to buy. To be able to accomplish her works after the deaths of her husbands is remarkable. To have a quiet heart has to be so amazing. We struggle so much with our emotions often causing great chaos in our lives. As she said if only we would surrender these emotions totally to God the peace will be ours. How simple and yet so difficult at the same time. Elisabeth Elliot gives hope in her writings that there can be a peaceful heart. The choice is up to us. Keep struggling or surrender. I believe the choice is crystal clear. Thanks you for presenting the information for our knowledge and consideration. Also thank you for the hope you give your readers if only they surender to God.

    ReplyDelete