Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Believing What You Teach

For a while now I have noticed that my "best" times of the week are when I am teaching. Most of you know that I facilitate two sections of GriefShare and two sections of Women's Study. I always feel the most sure about God when I am encouraging others to put their trust in Him. However, I have also observed that within minutes of finishing these groups, I can personally fall back into the very discouragements that I have just exhorted others to put aside! What's with that?

Providentially I came across an explanation for this toward the end of Running Scared: Fear, Worry, and the God of Rest. The author states this:

"I recently taught a seminar that was thirty hours of classroom teaching in five days. During breaks, students would ask if I was tired. I replied that it is a lot easier - and more blessed - to speak for a week than to listen. For better or worse, they seemed to believe me, especially by Friday. The reason I can get energized over the course of a week is the same reason preachers like to preach: When I speak the truth, I am built up in my faith. I demonstrate my certainty in the promises of God. In short, I see that I really believe what God says."

I have never "taught" so much in my life. My week consists of prep for these four classes, doing the four classes, and writing this blog six days a week. The rest of the time I love to help out people in need and organize mercy ministries for our church. I am thankful for the opportunity to do what I love. And despite my moments of doubt, God blesses me with assurances that He is faithful...especially when I am assuring others of His faithfulness to them.

2 comments:

  1. Candy I felt a hymn coming on as I read your blog this morning:

    Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
    O what a foretaste of glory divine!
    Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
    born of his Spirit, washed in his blood.

    This is my story, this is my song,
    praising my Savior all the day long;
    this is my story, this is my song,
    praising my Savior all the day long.

    Perfect submission, perfect delight,
    visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
    angels descending bring from above
    echoes of mercy, whispers of love.

    Perfect submission, all is at rest;
    I in my Savior am happy and blest,
    watching and waiting, looking above,
    filled with his goodness, lost in his love.

    I sang with a joyful heart as I remembered the days when I was called to teach in our night time bible study. As an assistant my task was to write a lecture 4 times out of our 35 lectures. As I would prepare through the week for the lecture, prayerfully sitting in the lap of God, abiding in His love, waiting for HIs guidance I felt closer to Him than I ever have since.

    I began to learn what perfect submission, brings perfect delight felt like (though nothing we do this side of heaven is perfect), I was in my Savior happy & blessed, watching & waiting looking above, filled with His goodness lost in His love.

    Glory be to God that He loves us and uses us even when we forget. He gave us the perfect reminder to dwell within us, His Holy Spirit. DS

    ReplyDelete