Monday, November 9, 2009

Unity in Prayer

Our church distributes prayer booklets every month to those wishing to participate in a combined effort of daily prayer. This is available in pamphlet form, or, alternatively, can be sent via email every morning. I have chosen the latter, and have greatly appreciated the prayers that have been written by Matt Parks, an elder at EPC, who bases these on The Ten Commandments, the Lord's Prayer, and the Apostle's Creed. I am presenting a sample below, so if anyone would like either the print (30 days) or email (every morning) versions, simply comment below or send me an email. candymagee@gmail.com

Prayer of Adoration, Confession, and Supplication

Adoration based on the Apostle’s Creed: …the forgiveness of sins…”

Confession based on the Ten Commandments: “And you shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.”

Supplication based on the Lord’s Prayer: “For thine is the kingdom…”

Merciful Father,

How blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered! How blessed is the man against whom You count no iniquity! You do not deal with him according to his sins nor repay him according to his iniquities, but as far as the east is from the west, so far have You removed his transgressions from him. What could accomplish such a great salvation? Only the death of Christ for sinners, for without the shedding of blood, there is no remission for sins and the blood of bulls and goats was not enough. But because Christ has shed His blood for us, our sins are truly and fully atoned for. There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. There can be no need to assume a false righteousness; no reason to withhold confession of sin. But still my pride and folly resist. My bones waste away and my strength is dried up, but I continue in lies and presumption. I withhold the word that will vindicate my neighbor and bury deep the word that will convict me. I love the darkness that hides the lie and hate the Light that reveals the Truth. I have gossiped, flattered, and slandered. I have made promises without sincerity and taken oaths lightly. This is not the way of Your kingdom. Your Son is the Truth and bore witness to it perfectly and completely. He is now in the place of all-surpassing truth awaiting the day when it will fill all the earth. Today, He is sending His Word forth, accompanied by the Spirit, to build that glorious kingdom. Establish His work and extend Your dominion. Let all the world know that You are Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment