Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Fears

Yikes! I sure hope that the women of my church appreciate the effort it takes to find a new book for Women's Study. This is scary stuff.

I just finished reading the first 54 pages of Book Option #1: Running Scared by Edward Welch. The first section of the book is entitled "Initial Observations," in which he lays the foundation for the rest of the book. Welch spends much time defining, labeling, and listing the many aspects of fear. He speaks of the anxieties of children, teens, and adults. He details specific fears (I stopped counting at 50!). I even found some that I didn't know I had - what's with that???

The most startling revelation thus far? I learned a new word: arachibutyrophobia. Welch says: "For those on the cutting edge of anxiety, arachibutyrophobia is a recent one: the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth. Think about it long enough and you could probably wind up claiming it as your own."

The book doesn't reveal yet what the cure is for this malady. I'm guessing it might be a glass of milk. Stay tuned. :-)

2 comments:

  1. add marshmallow fluff to the equation and a person would likely need to be institutionalized!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picture Candy, it's a prize! Next Tuesday night we are going to ask you how to spell the arachabut...... word! We're waiting with bated breath at what book will be the one! Debbi

    ReplyDelete