Monday, August 17, 2009


I have now entered into that phase of summer that I refer to as my “August Angst.” You might think that this would refer to discontent with hot weather or unhappiness about the upcoming change of schedule. NO, I am referring to that time of year when I begin to panic about choosing a book to teach for Women’s Study. This is the 13th year that I have experienced this dilemma, and the passage of time doesn’t seem to help. It is no easier this year than any other.

So I’ve decided to enlist the help of those of you reading this! Have you done any group studies that have been particularly helpful? Here is a list of what we’ve done so far:

  1. Treasures of Encouragement (Sharon Betters)
  1. Charity and Its Fruits (Jonathan Edwards)
  1. Practical Religion (J. C. Ryle)
  1. Holiness (J.C. Ryle)
  1. The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment (Jeremiah Burroughs)
  1. James on Works (Carol Ruvulo)
  1. By Design (Susan Hunt)
  1. Made for His Pleasure (Alistair Begg)
  1. Loving God With All Your Mind (Elizabeth George)
  1. When Life and Beliefs Collide (Carolyn Custis James)
  1. War of Words (Paul David Tripp)

12. When you Pray (Philip Ryken)

  1. When God Weeps (Joni Erickson Tada)
  1. Heaven (Randy Alcorn)


Here are the books that I am presently reading that are in contention for this year:

  1. Running Scared: Fear, Worry, and the God of Rest (Edward Welch)
  1. Written In Stone: The Ten Commandments and Today’s Moral Crisis (Philip Ryken)
  1. Hoping for Something Better: Journey Through Hebrews (Nancy Guthrie)


If you have any suggestions, please comment below. Thanks for your help!

1 comment:

  1. Great choice on the last book Candy, I really enjoyed the study on Heaven by Randy Alcom. I think choice #3 Journey through Hebrews sounds interesting, I have wanted to do a study in Hebrews there is a lot in there about faith. I have a book sitting in my library waiting to be read it is "Called to be God's Leader" Lessons from the life of Joshua---How God prepares His servants for Spiritual Leadership. Author is Henry Blackaby & Richard Blackaby. Another suggestion (even for future reference is,) Sacred Romance which has a study guide to go with it that is very thought provoking. This book is by John Eldridge. I found it to be a wonderful way to understand just how much God loves us and persues us, through nature and all things that we see, feel, touch, and experience. It helped me to unlock some of the deep emotional hurts that kept me from understanding what freedom in Christ in meant. Well that's my two cents. I'll be praying for you Candy and, "Yes" I do appreciate what it takes to find that perfect book, but when you get it, you know it. Debbi

    ReplyDelete