Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Emily or Anne?

So I was practically called a heretic. Usually this refers to someone who denies some basic tenet of a religious faith, but I got in trouble in a different area. A while ago I posted as my Facebook status something like: "Candyce so prefers Emily of New Moon to Anne of Green Gables." Oh my, civil war erupted. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, there is a Canadian author, L.M. Montgomery, who wrote wonderful works of fiction in the early 1900's. The most famous of these is a series of books based on an orphan girl named "Anne with an E." They are definitely worth reading - but I love more the series of books based on an orphan girl named "Emily." So a dear friend called me out on this, and stated something very intelligent like "NO WAY!!!! ANNE RULES!!!!" (I love you, Beth!) Well, I will leave it to the readers of this blog to state their own preferences. I submit, as evidence, some of the finest excerpts of Emily of New Moon:

"Teddy and I decided that when we grew up we would buy the Disappointed House and live here together. Teddy said he supposed we'd have to get married, but I thought maybe we could find a way to manage without going to all that bother."

"Ilse called me a sneaking albatross to-day. I wonder how many animals are left to call me. She never repeats the same one twice."

"Emily overheard her and ran to the sideboard mirror. She had had, while she was speaking, an uncanny feeling of wearing somebody else's face instead of her own. It was vanishing now - but Emily caught a glimpse of it as it left - the Murray look, she supposed. No wonder if had frightened Aunt Elizabeth - it frightened herself - she was glad that it had gone."

So now you have definitive proof of a wonderful series of books. Go to your favorite bookstore or library and pick up the works of Lucy Maud Montgomery. And start with Emily, not Anne. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment