Friday, August 28, 2009

The Making of Lists

I am a list-maker, and have been so for my whole adult life. Nearly every day I write a "to-do" list. At the end of the night, if I have done things that weren't on the list, I write them in and then check them off just to feel that much more productive. Yes, I know, I'm pretty weird.

People like me desire order and efficiency. These are good traits, unless the person with them also tends toward being easily overwhelmed. I am guilty as charged. I have often felt like Jim Lovell (aka Tom Hanks) in the movie Apollo 13. When their damaged ship is orbiting earth, and there is no real plan yet on getting back home, the three astronauts begin to get panicky. In an effort to calm everyone down, Lovell states: "All right! There are a thousand things that have to happen in the right order; we are on #8, and you're talking about #692!" The obvious implication here is that they needed to concentrate only on #9.

There is one piece of advice that I have given so often to others, but mostly to myself. I originally heard it from Elisabeth Elliot - who got it from a poem. When feeling stressed, overwhelmed, frustrated, or confused, she urged over and over: DO THE NEXT THING. It really is brilliant advice. It works 100% of the time. Look around, determine what you should do first. Is it changing the diaper? Getting out of bed? Counting to ten before saying another word? Whatever the circumstance, whatever the crisis, just DO THE NEXT THING. You will be amazed.

For me? The next thing for me to do is to find a picture to go with this post. Or think of a clever title. Or provide you with the link to the original poem. Or make some popcorn. I know, the next thing is to watch Apollo 13 tonight, with popcorn! See? I told you it always works!

2 comments:

  1. It's the same way you eat an elephant- one bite at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I come and watch Apollo 13 and eat popcorn with you? That sounds like a pretty good next thing!
    ~Jeanette

    ReplyDelete