Saturday, August 8, 2009

One day last week I woke up particularly discouraged and really didn’t want to face the upcoming day. Joshua 1 came to mind, and so before I dragged myself out of bed, I read the words that God spoke to the man who was to lead Israel into the Promised Land:

Just as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you or forsake you. Be strong and courageous, for you shall cause this people to inherit the land that I swore to their fathers to give them. Only be strong and very courageous, being careful to do according to all the law that Moses my servant commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may have good success wherever you go. This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

This was enough to at least get me started on my day. Being told three times to “be strong and courageous” was enough of a push to get me out of bed. Apparently though, I quickly forgot this lesson and needed another reminder. Within a few hours I was preparing for a class I was to attend later that evening. Joshua 1 was the text for the lesson! SO – six times I had been instructed by the same words. And again – I faltered. By bedtime I was exceedingly weak and distressed, so I turned to my nighttime devotional material. Can you guess what the Scripture was? Yes, Joshua 1! Nine times in one day I was confronted by the same commandment.

What was the point of all this? I have been pondering this experience for the last few days, and the only conclusion that I can reach is that I must trust and obey. I have no strength or courage within me anymore; any strength and courage must come from God and His Word. Thankfully the commandment in this passage comes with a promise: “Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Please God, help me to be strong and courageous each and every day, and may the final Joshua, Jesus, one day lead me into the Promised Land.

2 comments:

  1. I think that too often people think that being courageous means that you are without fear. The contrary is the case. The times when I have been considered the most courageous were also the times I experienced the greatest fear. Courage is a measurement of how you react to the fear and distress in your life- not the absence of fear and distress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correct Chet....courage is not the absence of fear but the the facing of the fear and the choice to keep doing the best you can in spite of it.....you are OLD and wise.

    ReplyDelete