Monday, August 10, 2009

Internet Addiction


The New York Times wrote another article about me today. In the years that I have been reading this paper (on-line), they have often featured me in sometimes unflattering ways. They really do enjoy stepping on my toes.

For instance, this morning the title of the offending essay was “Breakfast Can Wait. The Day’s First Stop Is Online.OUCH. The main point is that technology has changed our daily lives in quite dramatic ways. Instead of families chatting during breakfast, everyone in the household now brings their laptops to the table. For the record, we have NEVER done that so early in the day. One of my fondest memories, though, was the time a couple of years ago when four of us, with laptops in front of us, were giggling at the table playing Scrabble on Facebook - I call that bonding.

Next, the article made fun of people who “after six to eight hours of network deprivation — also known as sleep — are increasingly waking up and lunging for cellphones and laptops, sometimes even before swinging their legs to the floor and tending to more biologically urgent activities.” (Do they have a hidden camera in my room?)

The father in the article laments: “We use texting as an in-house intercom.” (I think our phones are bugged.) Kristin often texts me from the next room asking: “Mommy, can I please have some popcorn?” This is SO intrusive – I have to pause the movie, cut my call short, or bookmark my iPod in order to comply with her wishes.

Ah well, at least I’m not as addicted as the hapless family in the article. Thankfully my children don’t miss the bus or deprive the family dog of healthy walks because of gadgets. And before some of you people rat me out, okay, I don’t have young children or a family dog! What’s your point?

See you all online. :-)

3 comments:

  1. Ain't that the truth! The good thing though about internet addiction is that you can easily keep in touch with everybody you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully I am not cursed by this affliction. I would never reach for my Blackberry on the nightstand to check email messages before getting out of bed- I swear- really... sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It reminds me of my kids saying (once) every day after the mail man was here, "Did I get any mail?" - We should really limit ourselves to checking our messages only once, shouldn't we? I have to start putting that into practice myself. But then again, I could be missing an oh so important message...

    ReplyDelete