Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Presidential Ponderings #2

As promised, here are some Abraham Lincoln quotes. I must say that it was very difficult making these choices - he was an incredibly witty and wise orator. I hope you enjoy these as much as I did. :-)

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them."

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom and that of all about me seemed insufficient for that day."

"Beavers build houses; but they build them in nowise differently, or better now, than they did, five thousand years ago. Ants, and honey-bees, provide food for winter; but just in the same way they did, when Solomon referred the sluggard to them as patterns of prudence. Man is not the only animal who labors; but he is the only one who improves his workmanship."

"I am rather inclined to silence, and whether that be wise or not, it is at least more unusual nowadays to find a man who can hold his tongue than to find one who cannot."

"In regard to this Great Book, I have but to say, it is the best gift God has given to man. All the good the Savior gave to the world was communicated through this book."

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."


1 comment:

  1. What great words of wisdom, the two that especially prick my heart are the two that speak of guarding the tongue, I shall write these on a sticky note and attach them to my computer today as a reminder in the work place and beside my husband that I don't have to speak to be heard, for actions speak louder than words. thanks Candy for these great quotes! DS

    ReplyDelete