Monday, February 15, 2010

Presidential Ponderings

As we all sit home today and spend hours contemplating President's Day, I thought I would help out by providing you with some excellent quotes by George Washington. Tomorrow I'll find some good ones by Abraham Lincoln. Any other requests? :-)

"Let your heart feel for the afflictions and distress of everyone, and let your hand give in proportion to your purse. "

"We should not look back unless it is to derive useful lessons from past errors, and for the purpose of profiting by dearly bought experience."

"Worry is the interest paid by those who borrow trouble."

"I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

"It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one."

"Let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle."

1 comment:

  1. Remember Garfield's greatest (and to my knowledge, only) notable quote: "The ideal college is Mark Hopkins on one end of the log and a student on the other."

    And I think the greatest speech ever given by an American President ends with:

    "With Malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right...". If only all politicians could say these words with conviction and live by them.

    ReplyDelete