Monday, February 22, 2010

Thinking, Thinking, Thinking

Sometimes I think I think too much. I also think 'differently' than others. For instance, I was recently reading Genesis 41, the chapter in which Joseph is finally remembered by the chief cupbearer as the great dream-interpreter that he is. Joseph is brought before Pharaoh who could not find anyone in the land that could explain his dreams. After hearing the dreams, Joseph then convincingly warns him of an impending famine. He is commended and placed as second-in-command over all of Egypt to carry out the preparations needed to save Egypt from the awful consequences of the famine.

But then a curious passage about Joseph and the naming of his newborn sons is recorded for us:

"Before the year of famine came, two sons were born to Joseph. Asenath, the daughter of Potiphera priest of On, bore them to him. Joseph called the name of the firstborn Manasseh. 'For,' he said, 'God has made me forget all my hardship and all my father's house.' The name of the second he called Ephraim. 'For God has made me fruitful in the land of my affliction.'"

I am puzzled because if one has truly forgotten all one's hardships and the brothers that caused the hardships in the first place, then why name a son after that experience? And as if that weren't enough, he again speaks of his affliction at the birth of his second son. To me, that doesn't sound like he is forgetting his hardship and affliction at all.

I checked with several commentaries, and none really addressed this aspect of the verse. So I am left wondering: could it be that Joseph forgot the pain of the affliction without forgetting the affliction itself? Did he just see more of the goodness of God recently in his life and was able to put the past in perspective? Or was he still struggling with the hurt of what had brought him to this great position of honor in Egypt? Was Joseph just as confused about the providence of God as we sometimes are?

My husband has often remarked that I ask the oddest questions about the Bible - questions that have no answers. Maybe having all the answers is not what I really need. And maybe understanding all of the mysteries of God's providence is not what you need. Maybe it is enough for all of us to know that God has the answers, and to trust Him in our confusion.

So have a great day, even if something happens that you just can't understand.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I've read & studied Genesis and that thought never crossed my mind. You bring up some very good questions for ponderance (is that even a word?)

    I would say that Joesph's reason for his sons names would probably be a mixture of all you imagined, for how could he forget the affliction, how could he just forget how badly his brothers had treated him, one of their own?

    As God leads us through the trials and hurts of this life we do begin to understand why we must face difficulties for these are what forge our character and cause us to run to Him, our Defender and Refuge, therefore we gain new perspective on Who He is and who we are, thus our faith increases.

    Though we are small and insignificant in the whole sceme of things, like Joesph who was thrown in pit to rot and die by his brothers, God knows us, sees our troubles and we are deeply loved by our Creator, He loves to rescue us.

    Your third question is what we do as human beings, unlike God we cannot fully forget being hurt by others and being wronged by their actions, or by the painful circumstances that happen to us (that's what makes us human,) so my thought is that, just like us, Joesph is a mixed bag of emotions and uncertainties. That is what makes walking with God so extrodianrily marvolous, He can bring us through all of lifes mysteries helping us to grow in our faith and in our marvel of His Sovereignty.

    I'm with you, I will just know that God has a purpose for everything, He has the answers and I will simply trust Him in my confusion. Good questions Candy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wondering if it could be compared to childbirth? I do not remember what the pain felt like I just remember that it was painful.

    Another thought I had as I read this was related to something Randy Alcorn brings up in his book HEAVEN, which is that he points to the fact that the Saints remember that they were persecuted. Yet, we are also told that there will be no more pain in Heaven. So, maybe Joseph was given that blessing to remember that he had been hurt without having to experience the hurt time and time again...

    ~Jeanette

    ReplyDelete