Thursday, February 18, 2010

Remember This

Genesis 40 is the chapter in which Joseph, having been unfairly accused of adultery with Pharaoh's wife, is thrown into prison. While there he interprets the dreams of two fellow prisoners. To the chief cupbearer Joseph predicted that he would be set free within three days, and begs this man to "...please do me the kindness to mention me to Pharaoh, and so get me out of this house." Joseph's prophecy did indeed come true, and the man was restored to the service of the Pharaoh within the appointed time. However, "...the chief cupbearer did not remember Joseph, but forgot him." It would be two years before Joseph would be remembered by this man.

Every time I read this account I become indignant at the man who simply 'forgot' the service that was rendered him by Joseph. How could he forget something like that? Then I am often convicted of my own lapses of memory - forgetting to thank God for an answer to a particular prayer, forgetting to pray for someone when I've promised to do so, forgetting the very promises of God while in the midst of despair. How could I forget something like that?

How wonderful that God never forgets us:

"Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she could have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands..." (Isaiah 49:15-16)

Lord, thank you for remembering me, and help me to remember you today.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for that reminder from Isaiah, that God does not forget us. How comforting to know that an omniscient God is there for us and for those whom we are praying for.

    ReplyDelete