Monday, February 8, 2010

What Would Jesus See?

What I am about to write is not meant to be overly dramatic, but the names and places of the short story that follow have been omitted for privacy reasons. I am not trying to be like 007 or Mission Impossible, but I do desire to not unduly embarrass or compromise anyone's position.

Last week I had the most amazing experience in prison. The moment I passed through security, I instinctively knew that somehow I wanted to be a part of the place. But this is not a tale about me - but about two men that spent a long time with us, sharing their faith and their love for those they served. I'm convinced that both men, administrators at the jail, were sent there by God for great good. Compassion and love were clearly shown on their faces, as well as a desire for true justice.

The man who spent the most amount of time with us said something so simple yet so profound:

"When I meet with these prisoners, I don't want to know what they've done. I just want to see them as Jesus sees them - as broken and hurt sinners."

This man had already clearly stated to us that he believed in these men accepting the responsibility and consequences for their actions, so please don't jump to the conclusion that he is soft on crime and the administration of justice. But he looks beyond their evil deeds and sees them as lost souls. And he wants to minister to them.

As I've reflected on all of this, I have come to the realization that this man's 'sight' is one that those of us who live outside of prison walls should have as well. We should look at friend and foe alike as Jesus sees them. We should want to minister to them the forgiveness and grace of the gospel. After all, weren't we all lost souls, and isn't that what Jesus has done for us?

"See from his head, his hands, his feet
Sorrow and love flow mingled down
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

(When I Survey the Wondrous Cross)

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Candy, how easy it to forget that we were once the prisoner. It's so easily to stand outside the prison walls and shake our head without allowing our hearts be placed in anothers circumstances. Jesus is forgivness, He looks at the heart and sees the real person. How much more should we who proclaim service in His name do that also. Praise be to God that He has given these men a heart to serve the lowly, the forgotten by society, may God continue to fill their hearts with love so they can be a drink offering to the lost.

    Matthew 9:12-13 On hearing this Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means. I desire mercy, not sacrifice. For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." DS

    ReplyDelete