Monday, April 12, 2010

Act Like Men!

I have been told that I notice 'strange things' in the Bible. I actually agree with that assessment, proven by the fact that I found yet another phrase that I needed clarification on. I was reading 1 Corinthians 16, and the last verses fall under the heading of 'Final Instructions.'

"Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love."

All of this is really self-explanatory, except for the phrase "...act like men." What does that mean? I know that in our present culture there is much confusion about the roles of men and women. But I want to know what Paul meant by his words, and what meaning God intends for men and women today.

As always, my ESV Study Bible (pictured here) was most helpful in clarifying the situation. The notes explained that this phrase "...is used in contexts encouraging people, especially soldiers, to act with courage and strength in obedience to the Lord and with confidence in His power." Apparently these same words are used often in Scripture: (Deut. 31:6-7; 23; Josh. 1:6-7, 9; 1 Chron 28:20; Ps.27:14) I looked up all these references, and each one used the same language as 1 Corinthians 16. Every one of the above passages used the words "Be strong and courageous." And with nearly all of them, I noticed that it was followed up by "...and God will never leave you or forsake you."

Surely this commandment, then, is not for men alone; we all need to be strong and courageous, moving forward in life with the assurance that God will never leave us on our own.

SO - I have determined from this time forward to "act like a man." No smart-aleck comments, please :-)

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff. I notice the strange things in the Bible as well. Steve is LOVING his ESV. I'm thinking I might need to make a switch as well.

    ReplyDelete