Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Restless Spirits

I suppose everyone has a favorite "Bible hero," and mine would probably be Paul. He was so evil in his early days, persecuting the church and its' worshipers, then so amazingly productive for the gospel after his conversion in evangelizing the Gentile world, and yet still so troubled by his own sin in the midst of his great service, as he wrote about in his various letters. Perhaps it's the humanness of Paul that draws me to his writings. For instance, yesterday I came to this passage in 2 Corinthians 2:

"When I came to Troas to preach the gospel of Christ, even though a door was opened for me in the Lord, my spirit was not at rest because I did not find my brother Titus there. So I took leave of them and went to Macedonia."

I know this sounds wrong, but it warms my soul to hear that Paul struggled with a "...spirit that was not at rest." This so often describes my inner state. I have read plenty on the Biblical concept of contentment, and yet day after day I find my spirit not resting in the promises of God. What to do?

Often when I am restless and provoked in spirit, Steve will gently guide me back to something I've already written - reminding me of some helpful truth I thought would aid someone else. While I am not at all comparing my experience with Paul's, I do know that the answer for Paul's anxious spirit (and mine!) is to be found elsewhere in his epistles.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." (Phil. 4:6)

Any other restless spirits out there in CandyceLand? Let's listen to our own good advice and meditate upon the truths that we would share with others, "...and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Phil. 4:7)

1 comment:

  1. As I read this my spirit was at unrest I know my time with God has been cut short with "MY" busy day, full agenda. My prayer time is pathetic to say the least thus leaving me dry and restless in spirit. I had just gone to my trusty prayer book "The Valley of Vision" A collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions, I had come across the perfect one for the state my spirit was in. I read this helpful prayer just before I came to Candyceland (I have been away for several days I must confess,)so when I read this blog I thought maybe you and your readers might like to share in this prayer also. If I may take a page of two up to share it.
    "LIFE-GIVING GOD"
    Quicken me to call upon thy name,
    for my mind is ignorant,
    my thoughts vagrant,
    my affections earthly,
    my heart unbelieving,
    and only Thy Spirit can help my infirmities.
    I approach thee as Father and Friend,
    my portion for ever,
    my exceeding joy,
    my strength of heart,
    I believe in Thee as the God of nature,
    the ordainer of providence,
    the sender of Jesus my Savior.
    My guilty fears discourage an approach to Thee,
    but I praise Thee for the blessed news
    that Jesus reconciles Thee to me.
    May the truth that is in Him
    illuminate in me all that is dark,
    establish in me all that is wavering,
    comfort in me all that is wretched,
    accomplish in me all that is of Thy goodness,
    and glorify in me the name of Jesus.
    I pass through a vale of tears
    but bless Thee for the opening gate of glory at its end.
    Enable me to realize as mine the better, heavenly country.
    Prepare me for every part of my pilgrimage.
    Uphold my steps by Thy Word.
    Let no iniquity dominate me.
    Teach me that Christ cannot be the way if I am the end,
    That He cannot be Redeemer if I am my own saviour,
    that there can be no true union with Him
    while the creature has my heart,
    that faith accepts Him as Redeemer and Lord or not at all.

    I like you know this sounds wrong, but this too warms my soul to someone else is feeling so closely to the way I am, that their words could be mine. Praise God for the church family of Jesus Christ! DS

    ReplyDelete