Monday, April 5, 2010

Of First Importance

I mentioned in Sunday School yesterday that everyone should sign up for free daily emails from http://firstimportance.org/. The name of this website is derived from 1 Corinthians 15:

"For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve."

The short quotes that are sent to my inbox each morning are wonderful examples of focusing on that which is "of first importance" to us as believers - the good news of Christ's atoning work on the cross and the resurrection that followed shortly thereafter.

For example, Saturday I received this great insight, written by Octavius Winslow, and quoted by John Stott in his book The Message of Romans:

“Who delivered up Jesus to die? Not Judas, for money; not Pilate, for fear; not the Jews, for envy; — but the Father, for love!”

What better way to start each day but to contemplate insights from historic and modern writers on the topic of Christ? Try this service out and let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. Well I did sign up to receive the daily message and today's was most excellent! Wed. 4/7 is
    "You are kept low for your own safety." The key statement for me to ponder this day was,
    "When a man is sincerely humble, and never ventures to touch so much as a grain of the praise, there is scarcely any limit to what God will do for him." Now this is something for which I aspire. It will take a lifetime because that grain of praise always looks so tastey! Thanks for the tip. DS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today's was powerful, 4/9 Friday. Jesus took all the sin that had and will yet to come in this dark world and asked; "shall I drink it?" our responce is; "Yes beloved Savior drink empty it." Amazing love how can it be that you my Savior should die for me. May this message peirce our hearts so that, we know the heart of our Lord, may this be enough to turn us away from entertaining any thoughts that would not bring Him glory. Thank you Jesus for drinking my cup of wrath for me. DS

    ReplyDelete